maanantai 11. huhtikuuta 2011

Plague Doctor Mask (pt.1)

While fooling around with gas masks and presenting them in deviantART, these plague masks came up.
I had only seen Venetian types, but when I saw these German leather masks I was sold.
Obviously they'd need to be made of proper boot leather to be really sturdy, but I couldn't afford such right now so I used this brown sheet I found from my leather stash (yeah, I have stashes like that for various stuff..)



















Lenses are from mutilated gas mask (2nd from left in the first pic here , no idea what happened to it, I just hope nobody was wearing it at the moment), as is the buckle for the neck strap.
Once again, I was waaay too excited with this so no project photos.. neither did I draw patterns before sewing. Dammit.

While we're at sewing, I did it with hand sewing "machine" like this. Manual says it can be used to sew stitches for cows and horses as well! How practical!
*ahem*
I'll probably tidy up the seams a bit, maybe adding one more stitch all over.
Also, I'm about to stain the whole thing to give it a worn out, dirty look.

Some views of me wearing the thing:





































As you can see, the leather's really too thin. Still, this is almost airtight; if fastened tight, the beak part gets sucked in on inhale and expands again on exhale like an airbladder.

Ok, more pics when I get this finished.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti